Have you ever vomited so violently your bladder exploded? This UK woman did, and blames dodgy seafood

Lewis Pennock of the Mirror reports a 46-year-old woman vomited so violently her bladder exploded in a horrific case of food poisoning.

The woman, who had eaten dodgy seafood, was rushed to hospital after spending all night being sick until her condition deteriorated to the point her bladder ruptured.

A serving of gone-off seafood is thought to have left the woman with severe food poisoning, before her symptoms spiralled.

Surgeons who inspected the damage found a 3cm tear in the organ, a report in the British Medical Journal said, which is an incredibly rare side effect of vomiting.

The BMJ Case Report, authored by four medics from West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust, said the extreme injury was a “rare” reaction.

The unnamed woman, thought to be from Watford, had been eating dinner in a restaurant when she fell ill with food poisoning and began to vomit.

She went home but began to feel worse – and the vomiting became so intense her bladder was ruptured.

She decided to seek medical attention when the frequency and intensity of the vomiting caused her to bleed heavily from her vagina, experts said.

The woman, who had no history of a weakened bladder, was unable to go to the toilet despite having a full bladder.

The BMJ report said: “Spontaneous bladder rupture is a rare entity, with very few reports in the literature.”

It added: “This unusual case is important, as it has demonstrated that even normal, healthy bladders may rupture during episodes of high intra-abdominal pressure.”

Does epidemiology count? Canberra says no evidence of food poisoning at club

”We can’t have 29 people who have come from interstate just for a funeral and a wake all have the same symptoms [by chance],” says Cheryle Parkes.

”I’m sorry, it just doesn’t work that way, and the family members who weren’t there didn’t get sick.”

Health authorities investigating a suspected food poisoning outbreak have found no trace of pathogens or contaminants in food samples taken from the Raiders Belconnen Club in supremespinachandeggbreakfastsandwiches1Kippax.

However, ACT Health is unable to rule out the club as the source of the outbreak, which resulted in 29 of 40 guests at a wake becoming sick.

Testing of sandwiches, potato salad and pasta salad comes after most guests at the February 12 wake were left bedridden, with some interstate travellers having to delay trips home due to vomiting.

Cheryle Parkes said she believed egg and chicken sandwiches served at her mother’s wake were the cause.

Food samples collected from the club on February 14, two days after the wake, tested negative for dangerous bacteria, E. coli and salmonella.

An ACT Health spokeswoman said the results did not rule out food-borne illness affecting the people.

”A failure to detect pathogens in food analysed from suspect sources means that there was no causative organism detected,” she said.

”It does not mean that an outbreak of food-borne illness did not occur and it does not mean that a particular business did not cause the problem.”

ACT Health said it did not comment on individual businesses involved in suspected outbreaks.

Raiders Club manager Craig Potts said the frozen sandwiches tested had been from the same batch as those served at the wake. They included ham, cheese and pickle; chicken, cheese and mayonnaise; and egg and chive sandwiches.

”Quality control is something we take very seriously and we were always very confident that the analysis report from the ACT Health would reflect this,” he said.

Last year home-made mayonnaise was found to be at fault when 140 diners fell ill after eating at a Dickson restaurant.

29 sick after Australian wake; again with the eggs?

Suspected food poisoning left most guests at a Canberra wake last week bedridden, with some interstate travellers having to delay trips home because of vomiting, a Canberra woman says.

Cheryle Parkes said 29 of the 40 guests had become sick after eating at her mother’s wake at the Raiders Belconnen club in Kippax last Wednesday.

Cheryle ParkesThe 61-year-old Ngunnawal resident suspects chicken and egg sandwiches were the cause.

”My brother-in-law had such severe diarrhoea, my sister had shocking vomiting,” Mrs Parkes said.

”Another lady, my sister’s sister-in-law, said she’d never been so sick in her life.

Raiders club manager Craig Potts said staff were working with ACT Health. ”If there is an issue we need to deal with it, but currently they haven’t given us any findings and therefore we are unable to deal further with this in this instance,” he said.

”As soon as the findings are made available we will be in contact with the client we dealt with and will take any needed action as such.”

An ACT Health spokeswoman would not comment on the specific complaint on Wednesday.

”ACT Health can confirm we are currently investigating a number of possible food poisoning outbreaks,” the spokeswoman said in a statement. ”We are unable to comment on the source or cause of any alleged outbreaks.”

While the $627 spread for the noon wake included a cake platter, hot foods and a cheese and dry fruit offering, Mrs Parkes said the sandwiches were the common raweggdenominator in those who had later become ill.

”I had a quarter of a quarter of a chicken and mayo sandwich,” she said.

”I’d say [mayonnaise] is in the egg too.”

Mrs Parkes said she was disappointed by the lack of detail.

”What did they find? I need to know what has made us sick,” she said.

Mrs Parkes said she wanted a refund from the Raiders club for the aftermath of the important day.

”You go to celebrate your mother’s life and everyone’s ill, and you’re apologizing to them for being so sick,” she said.

Home-made mayonnaise was to blame last year when 140 diners fell ill and 15 were admitted to hospital after eating at the Copa Brazilian Churrasco restaurant on May 12.

Australia still has an egg problem. And there’s nothing like a grandmother who has catering experience and just lost her mother to lay plain the lumbering attitude towards Australian consumers from both government and industry.

More on that later.

A table of raw-egg related outbreaks in Australia is available at http://bites.ksu.edu/raw-egg-related-outbreaks-australia (and we’re working to update the tables).