Everyone’s got a camera Arkansas, edition: Clinton students say school served them raw chicken

Color is still a lousy indicator of whether food is safe, but if Clinton High School wanted to make a case, they would provide internal temperature logs.

For two days a Clinton mother says her children sent her pictures of the food being served in the school cafeteria at lunch.  She says it appears to be undercooked chicken.

“I don’t want my child sick from food poisoning,” says Kathleen Page, mother of two teens at Clinton High School.

” It was so obviously raw,” says her son, Jonathan Carter, a junior at the school.  “You could see pink in it.  I’d cut it open with my fork and it’d be more red on the inside.”

Page called the school and was transferred to the cafeteria.  “I started to ask her questions and she told me it was none of my business and hung up.”

She also called the Health Department and they told her this wasn’t the first complaint they’d gotten about the school lunches.

Clinton School District Superintendent, Andrew Vining, released a statement regarding the issue.

“The Clinton School District strives to serve our students and staff a variety of meals that are healthy, nutritious, and appealing.  The photos that have been circulated do not appear that way.  This concerns us and we have taken steps to resolve the matter to ensure our students are provided with the best meals possible.

“There were also photos that were circulated regarding apparent raw pork; to clarify, no pork was served.

“The chicken fajita meat which was pictured was Tyson, fully cooked and prepackaged.  None of our staff or students have reported becoming ill after eating chicken from our cafeteria.  In the event someone does get sick, they need to notify my office and go to their doctor to see if symptoms were due to food-borne illness.

“We regret this has happened and we will continue to put the health of our students first in all things.”

30 sick: Arkansas restaurant possibly linked to Salmonella outbreak

Kristen Wilson of KATV reports the Arkansas Department of Health is investigating a foodborne illness outbreak that has affected approximately 30 people since Friday.

ADH has confirmed four cases of salmonella so far. At this point, health officials say their investigation suggests the Chuck Wagon Restaurant in Stuttgart is likely the site of the outbreak.

Currently, health officials are collecting biological specimens from those who fell ill and are investigating their recent food history and any other common exposures, including animal or worksite exposures.

Thank you Subway sandwich artists: Hep A exposure in Arkansas

The Arkansas Department of Health (ADH) is warning of a possible Hepatitis A Virus (Hep A) exposure after a Subway employee in Morrilton tested positive for the virus. The Subway is located at 1812 AR-9 Bus, of off I-40 Exit 108, in Morrilton, Arkansas.

hepatitis.AAny individual, who has eaten food from the Morrilton, Ark. Subway between March 25, 2015 and April 5, 2015 and is experiencing symptoms, should contact their primary care provider immediately. Typical symptoms of Hep A include, but are not limited to: fever, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, dark urine, clay-colored bowel movements, joint pain, or jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).

Hep A is a contagious liver disease that results from infection with the Hepatitis A virus. It can range in severity from a mild illness lasting a few weeks to a severe illness lasting several months. A person can transmit the virus to others up to 2 weeks before and one week after symptoms appear.

Always tragic: Arkansas teen hospitalized with E. coli infection

A Northwest Arkansas 13-year-old was flown by medical helicopter to Little Rock on Friday after contracting an E. coli infection, his family said.

e.coliO157H7The boy’s grandfather posted a message on social media saying the teenager had an E. coli infection that was affecting his kidneys and liver. The boy’s spleen is also swollen, the grandfather said.

The grandfather posted an update Saturday saying the teen’s kidneys are better, but he still has low blood platelets.

A social media post by the boy’s father from Friday stated he was in Bentonville that day before being airlifted to Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock.

More than 100 Arkansas students develop stomach illness

The Arkansas Department of Health and the Little Rock School District are investigating why more than 100 middle school students developed a stomach illness.

Little Rock School District spokeswoman Pamela Smith told KLRT-TV that the parents of 82 Pulaski Heights Middle School said their children wouldn’t be in class on Friday.

Smith says another 55 students left school early after complaining of stomach problems.

350 sick from Salmonella in chicken salad at Arizona prison

Prison food is no picnic, what with the horse nuts (canned plums), dog food, Salmonella in eggs, and the rumored saltpeter.

The Arkansas Department of Health has confirmed the presence of Salmonella in chicken salad served at the Arkansas Department of Correction’s Tucker Unit on Aug. 4 that sickened hundreds of inmates with nausea and diarrhea.

Correction department spokeswoman Shea Wilson says footage from security cameras shows the chicken was cooked for three hours. But Wilson tells the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that the chicken may have been left out for too long after it was cooked.

I didn’t know surveillance cameras could measure temperature. The chicken salad was prepared by inmates.

You can have whatever you like, including a gastrointestinal virus

Visitation at Federal Correctional Complex-Forrest City (FCC-FC), Arkansas, has temporarily been suspended, according to the Times-Herald, due to inmates sickened with a “suspected gastrointestinal virus.” R.D. Weeks, executive assistant at FCC-FC explains, “The institution’s medical staff is evaluating and appropriately treating the inmates for the symptoms that appear to dissipate after 48-72 hours.” Weeks continues, “Symptomatic inmates are being tested to determine the exact virus; however, the H1N1 virus is not suspected in these cases.” In addition to visitation limitations, staff and inmates are reminded to adhere to universal precautions, which include frequent handwashing.

Rapper T.I. (Clifford Harris) is serving his jail time at FCC-FC for purchasing illegal firearms and silencers in October 2007. It is unknown if T.I. has been infected with the virus.

Ajax shouldn’t go in DQ shakes; windshield wiper fluid is not Kool-Aid for kids

An employee of a Ferndale, Washington, Dairy Queen says she “accidentally” poured Ajax into the malt dispenser, sickening two customers, according to court documents.

Detectives obtained surveillance video and saw the employee, Dale, pouring the Ajax into the malt dispenser, documents said.

Meanwhile, officials at an Arkansas hospital reported Friday that 10 children drank windshield wiper fluid after a staffer at an Arkansas day care mistakenly put the liquid in a refrigerator and served it.

A hospital toxicologist said,

"All we know was that the individual at the day care had recently shopped and had come back to the day care with a lot of different products. This product was mistakenly grabbed and thought to be Kool-Aid and put in the refrigerator."