Indian cricket team gives Australia food for thought in bid to take spice out of test series

Cricket may be more boring than baseball, but at least the wealthy team from India knows what it wants in food safety, and will bring a private chef to Australia this summer. mild curries such as butter chicken are on India’s list of nutritional requirements, with the explicit instruction of “no spicy foods” written in large, red letters on their list of food demands.

The tourists are also desperate to avoid their millionaire cricketers like MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli becoming sick while in Australia.

They have issued Test venue caterers with pages of hygiene instructions, many of which are simply common sense.

Australia’s cricketers have long suffered Delhi belly while in the subcontinent but India’s elite cricketers won’t hear of having any food germs.

They have ordered that hot dishes must be served at more than 60 degrees Celsius, and cold food below five degrees Celsius, and detailed a long list of food hygiene requirements.

“All utensils should look clean and have no food or anything else visible,’’ the document states.

“All staff must wash their hands thoroughly with warm, soapy water.

“Utensils must be sanitised in a dishwasher at high heat and must be dried before use, with air drying the best method.’’

India’s list of nutritional requirements isn’t as extensive as when England was here last summer and wanted their dressingroom to resemble a Michelin Star restaurant for the Ashes.

The Poms demanded dishes such as piripiri breaded tofu with tomato salsa, a quinoa and cranberry breakfast bar, mungbean curry with spinach and pistachio and ginger biscotti.

India simply insist there must be no spicy or fried foods.

And they say no beef or pork related products should be used in cooking or food preparation, given their high number of vegetarian cricketers.

Cricket players barfing because of bottled water at T20?

ICC officials are believed to be investigating suggestions the gastro virus that has swept through at least three teams at the World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka is linked to the type of bottled water supplied at match venues.

New Zealand trio Dan Vettori, Tim Southee and Rob Nicol and Australia’s Mitchell Starc and Brad Hogg are among those players at the tournament who’ve been struck down with gastro and upset-stomach dramas in the past week.

Southee received hospital treatment for dehydration.

Members of the Ireland team were also struck down.

But even with the barfing, cricket is still dull.

30 sick after Sussex cricket hospitality

People go to a cricket match to sleep, not barf.

An investigation has been launched after 30 people contracted food poisoning following eating food at a Sussex county cricket match.

Environmental health officers are investigating how recipients of hospitality at the Boundary Rooms suite at the PROBIZ County Ground in Hove became ill after eating at the match against Middlesex on June 22nd.

Tickets for hospitality at this part of the ground cost £120 and included a four-course meal, wine, beer and soft drinks as well as entry to the match.

Sussex County Cricket Club has confirmed that around 30 people out of 240 that were in that area of the ground have become ill. The club believes that people became ill from contaminated chicken parfait, although this has yet to be confirmed.

Kevin Berry, catering and hospitality manager for the club said that Sussex Cricket Club has a great relationship with its corporate clients and that he was sure this is an isolated incident, adding, "We have been serving this dish for four years and not had any problems."


This is what Homer thinks of baseball, which is as exciting as cricket, when he is sober for a couple of weeks.

Cricket-security police fall ill with food poisoning

Apparently there’s a World Cup of cricket and apparently it’s being held in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh.

I’m not being disrespectful, I just wouldn’t know. I do know there’s a Capitals-Flyers game on TV tonight (that’s hockey).

Whatever the sport, players play lousy when they barf. And if security’s barfing, there should be some red flags around the athletes.

Reuters reports around 60 policemen on World Cup security duty in Dhaka fell sick on Tuesday after eating contaminated food.

The policemen, who were on duty at Dhaka’s Sher-e-Bangla Stadium and the teams’ hotel, were taken to hospital after eating food supplied by a local contractor.

Colonel Mesbahuddin, the security chief for the local organising committee, said, "The policeman started vomiting shortly after having the food. Around 50 of them were taken to hospital for treatment."

The sick policeman included more than a dozen members of the elite security force, Rapid Action Battalion. The food supplier was taken into custody.

The incident took place on the eve of the first quarter-final between Pakistan and West Indies.

New Zealand cricketers felled by food poisoning

I don’t understand cricket — other than it may be as boring as baseball —  but I do understand barf.

Tillakaratne Dilshan achieved the milestone he narrowly missed in Sri Lanka’s first innings to post an unbeaten 123
as New Zealand became increasingly dependent on rain to stave off defeat in the first cricket test in Galle last night.

New Zealand had little to enthuse about once it became apparent morning rain would not stall the start of play for the first time since a delayed toss.

Their mood darkened further when Brendon McCullum and Jesse Ryder called in sick at breakfast, the worst affected of eight players struck down by food poisoning.

Only Ross Taylor, Martin Guptill and Iain O’Brien were immune from the bug that provided Auckland wicketkeeper Reece Young with his first experience of test cricket.


Cricket bats are not stirring spoons

South Shropshire Journals reports that rat droppings, a cricket bat used to stir vats of curry sauce which was later gnawed by rats, and various holes used by the pests were found at a Chinese restaurant in Knighton.

Inspectors found evidence of rat activity at the Mandarin House Take-away at 50 Market Street when they carried out routine checks on March 5 last year.

On Friday, Chun-Hung Cheung was fined a total of £2,000 and ordered to pay £500 costs and a £15 victim surcharge after admitting five charges under the Food Hygiene (Wales) Regulations 2006.