2 Detroit kids sick with E. coli from raw milk

Two metro Detroit children have been infected with E. coli, authorities said Friday.

Spew milkThe Michigan Department of Health and Human Services says the cause is unpasteurized milk. The separate cases have been reported in Oakland and Wayne counties.

Officials are now reminding residents of the potential risks associated with consuming raw milk.

“The public should be aware that raw milk and other unpasteurized dairy products have not been heat treated and, therefore, pose a potentially serious risk to human health,” said Dr. Eden Wells, chief medical executive for MDHHS.

Surveys still suck, but what do old people say about Listeria?

Consumer implementation of recommended food safety practices, specifically relating to time and temperature control of ready-to-eat (RTE) food products associated with listeriosis are crucial.

family.guy.herbertThis is particularly the case for at-risk consumers such as older adults, given the increased listeriosis incidence reported internationally among adults aged ≥60 years. However, data detailing older adults’ cognitive risk factors associated with listeriosis are lacking. Combining data about knowledge, self-reported practices, and attitudes can achieve a cumulative multilayered in-depth understanding of consumer food safety behavior and cognition. This study aims to ascertain older adults’ cognition and behavior in relation to domestic food handling and storage practices that may increase the risks associated with L. monocytogenes.

Older adults (≥60 years) (n = 100) participated in an interview and questionnaire to determine knowledge, self-reported practices, and attitudes toward recommended practices. Although the majority (79%) had positive attitudes toward refrigeration, 84% were unaware of recommended temperatures (5°C) and 65% self-reported “never” checking their refrigerator temperature. Although most (72%) knew that “use-by” dates indicate food safety and 62% reported “always” taking note, neutral attitudes were held, with 67% believing it was safe to eat food beyond use-by dates and 57% reporting doing so. Attitudes toward consuming foods within the recommended 2 days of opening were neutral, with 55% aware of recommendations and 84% reporting that they consume RTE foods beyond recommendations.

Although knowledgeable of some key practices, older adults self-reported potentially unsafe practices when storing RTE foods at home, which may increase risks associated with L. monocytogenes. This study has determined that older adults’ food safety cognition may affect their behaviors; understanding consumer food safety cognition is essential for developing targeted food safety education.

Older adult consumer knowledge, attitudes, and self-reported storage practices of ready-to-eat food products and risks associated with listeriosis

Journal of Food Protection®, Number 2, February 2016, pp. 184-344, pp. 263-272(10)

Evans, Ellen W.; Redmond, Elizabeth C.


I went to Costa Rica for Christmas and all I got was diarrhea

Not me. We’re enjoying the balmy Kansas weather and an empty college town as the rest of the country fights snow and rain.

But as reported by HotelChatter, Costa Rica’s Barcelo Tambor Beach hotel had to close after a nasty diarrhea outbreak last week.

The health ministry shut it down after 150 people reportedly sought treatment late last week at a local clinic after suffering from such symptoms as nausea, cramps and vomiting, though the hotel only reported 37 cases of the runs.

The hotel, which has a picturesque beach location on the on the southern tip of the Nicoya Peninsula in Ballena Bay, isn’t allowed to accept new guests and is supposed to evacuate current hotel guests within 24 hours. However, the health ministry said it could take up to a week to do that properly.

Initially, officials thought it was food poisoning. But now the hotel is looking to see if the pool was the culprit.

 Vietnam city prohibits street eateries in front of schools to prevent diarrhea

In 2004, Salmonella-contaminated Roma tomatoes used in prepared sandwiches sold at Sheetz convenience stores throughout Pennsylvania sickened over 400 consumers. At the time, one customer told a local media outlet she wasn’t worried about the food from Sheetz because she gets diarrhea from her own cooking all the time.

I-get-diarrhea-from-my-own-cooking-all-the-time may not be the best marketing slogan. School officials in Vietnam apparently agree.

The Ho Chi Minh City Department of Education and Training called on the help of district people’s committees to prohibit street eateries from operating in front of schools, apparently in the hopes of preventing acute diarrhea.

Furthermore, administrators have been ordered not to let such restaurants reopen in the future.

Schools have been instructed to work closely with district governments to drive away restaurants deemed unsafe, as well as to ensure school cafeterias serve wholesome, nourishing meals that meet state standards for hygiene.