Not me. We’re enjoying the balmy Kansas weather and an empty college town as the rest of the country fights snow and rain.
But as reported by HotelChatter, Costa Rica’s Barcelo Tambor Beach hotel had to close after a nasty diarrhea outbreak last week.
The health ministry shut it down after 150 people reportedly sought treatment late last week at a local clinic after suffering from such symptoms as nausea, cramps and vomiting, though the hotel only reported 37 cases of the runs.
The hotel, which has a picturesque beach location on the on the southern tip of the Nicoya Peninsula in Ballena Bay, isn’t allowed to accept new guests and is supposed to evacuate current hotel guests within 24 hours. However, the health ministry said it could take up to a week to do that properly.
Initially, officials thought it was food poisoning. But now the hotel is looking to see if the pool was the culprit.
In 2004, Salmonella-contaminated Roma tomatoes used in prepared sandwiches sold at Sheetz convenience stores throughout Pennsylvania sickened over 400 consumers. At the time, one customer told a local media outlet she wasn’t worried about the food from Sheetz because she gets diarrhea from her own cooking all the time.
I-get-diarrhea-from-my-own-cooking-all-the-time may not be the best marketing slogan. School officials in Vietnam apparently agree.
The Ho Chi Minh City Department of Education and Training called on the help of district people’s committees to prohibit street eateries from operating in front of schools, apparently in the hopes of preventing acute diarrhea.
Furthermore, administrators have been ordered not to let such restaurants reopen in the future.
Schools have been instructed to work closely with district governments to drive away restaurants deemed unsafe, as well as to ensure school cafeterias serve wholesome, nourishing meals that meet state standards for hygiene.