Alex Bowen said in a Facebook post that he stopped by a Waffle House in West Columbia because he couldn’t sleep.
The restaurant’s employees apparently did not have the same problem.
“I walked back outside to my car to look for employees,” Bowen told WIS. “No one in sight.”
It wasn’t until he walked back inside the restaurant that he noticed an employee snoozing in a corner booth.
“Then it was go time,” Bowen told WIS. “(I) got hot on the grill with a double Texas bacon cheesesteak with extra pickles. When I was done I cleaned the grill, collected my ill-gotten sandwich and rolled out.”
He told WIS that he wouldn’t normally have gotten behind the grill.
“I give all the credit to my old friend vodka,” Bowen said.
The man is out of a job at Waffle House — fired for what can only be described as lewd behavior.
41NBC received video from a concerned citizen where an employee was shown in his Waffle House uniform, pleasuring himself inside the restaurant’s dining area while another employee watched.
41NBC believes the video is too graphic to show. Waffle House took immediate action and they have chosen not to identify the man. We received a statement from Waffle House’s corporate office about the issue. A spokesperson says in part that the issue is disgusting…
“In addition, we are cooperating with local authorities to explore if charges will be brought against this individual.”
Health officials say the act, while unusual, would be treated no differently than blood or other bodily fluid exposure in the restaurant.
“Basically any general protocol that would follow clean up for wash, rinse, and sanitize would work. You’d want to increase the strength of the sanitizer to the level that it would be a disinfectant,” Donna Cadwell with the Macon-Bibb County Health Department said.
Food contact surfaces, as well as floors and walls throughout the facility, needed cleaning, the inspector said. And the dishwasher needed to be repaired.
Among other repeat violations, raw eggs had been out at room temperature for more than four hours, but were placed back into a cooler. The food handler told the inspector she didn’t know they needed to be discarded.
Some food items were stored inappropriately. Raw meat was stored over milk and ready-to-eat foods in one of the coolers.
An employee was using a hand-sink to rinse off cleaning cloths. The sanitizing solution used to wipe down surfaces was too toxic. Too much chlorine could lead to a chemical hazard, the inspector said.