On May 18, 2017, the first cases of food poisoning were reported to health types in Dublin and soon linked to a northern Dublin food business that had supplied food to numerous family parties the weekend of May 13 and 14, 2017.
“A Closure Order was served on the food business on Friday 19th May.”
The statement came a week after Sandra O’Brien, who was in her 50s, died from suspected food poisoning at a First Communion party.
The statement continues: “The HSE is aware of more than 50 people (including 4 children) ill from a number of separate groups of family parties supplied by a North Dublin food business on Saturday 13th May and Sunday 14th May.
“To date five people were admitted to hospital and 16 of those ill have been confirmed as Salmonella.”
Now, an inquest has heard the woman died from Salmonella.
The Health Service Executive’s Environmental Health Office and the Food Safety Authority of Ireland are preparing files on the incident.
Reports will be filed by both authorities to the Director of Public Prosecution once investigations are complete.
The catering company, Flanreil Food Services, who provided the food served on the day of the First Communion function was represented at the inquest by solicitor Elaine Byrne.
Inspector Oliver Woods applied for a six-month adjournment of the inquest to allow for investigations to continue and the coroner adjourned the inquest until 8 November, 2018.