Modern version of wash your mouth with soap: Florida teacher suspended for washing out student’s mouth with hand sanitizer

Andrew Marra of USA Today writes a Florida science teacher has been suspended for 10 days after an investigation found she put hand sanitizer in the mouth of a misbehaving student.

The student, who attended Polo Park Middle School, told a school administrator that he was talking loudly in class Oct. 14 when teacher Guyette Duhart told him he needed to have his mouth washed out with soap, the investigation found.

Duhart then grabbed a bottle of hand sanitizer from her desk, investigators said, and told the student to approach her.

Six students told investigators that Duhart then pumped hand sanitizer into the student’s mouth, a district investigation found.

Duhart admitted to holding the sanitizer near his mouth but claimed the student grabbed the bottle himself and pumped it into his own mouth.

The student spit onto the floor and left the classroom, the investigation found. When he returned, Duhart let him go to a bathroom to rinse his mouth.

The school district concluded the allegation against Duhart was substantiated. The school board on Wednesday approved a 10-day suspension without pay.

The National Institutes of Health recommends that people who swallow it seek medical help.

Over 200 South African students examined for food poisoning

Some pupils were vomiting and others complained of abdominal pains, said spokesman Macks Lesufi in an e-mail.

vomit.toiletHe said at least 100 pupils were examined, treated, and released at Jane Furse hospital on Monday, while three of them were admitted.

Another 133 pupils were taken for examination to St Ritas hospital on the same day. Two of them were admitted.

Another eight pupils were taken to St Ritas on Tuesday, and one of them was admitted.

Lesufi said the three admitted to this hospital had since been discharged.

He could not confirm reports that shards of glass had been found in food eaten by the children.

Basic education department spokesman Elijah Mhlanga could not immediately be reached for comment.

Earlier, The Star reported that 275 pupils at Makeke Primary School were taken to hospital on Monday after eating food that contained pieces of glass.

But did the person work in food service? Hepatitis A in a University of Guelph residence

Health-types have reported a suspected case of hepatitis A in a student living in Maritime Hall in the University of Guelph’s South Residence (that’s in Canada).

They say the risk of infection is low, however, as a precaution, Public Health is notifying students that live in the affected residence and asking them to be immunized at a special clinic to be offered at Student Health Services. Vaccination within two weeks of exposure may help prevent illness from the virus.

Did that student work in food service in any capacity, on-campus or off?

Wisconsin student treated for E. coli

A student who attends Glacial Drumlin School, the middle school in the Monona Grove School District, was diagnosed and treated for E. coli, a Public Health Madison and Dane County spokesman said Friday.

Spokesman Jeff Golden said it appeared to be an "isolated case."

The student’s sibling also exhibited symptoms, but the infection had not been confirmed, Golden said.

Principal Renee Tennant said the cases were not school-related, but parents were notified as a precaution.

46 American students hospitalized with food poisoning in Italy

French and Italian media are reporting that 46 young American students were
hospitalized in Salerno, south of Naples, for food poisoning after eating pasta and meat.

Young people and a teacher of 32 years, who had to travel in Greece, were hospitalized in various establishments in the vicinity of Salerno on Saturday night after complaining of fever, vomiting and diarrhea.

The group made a stop for lunch at a self-service Hydromania water park on the outskirts of Rome. They ate cold pasta and chicken thawed. But none of the 170 other guests had suffered the same problems as American students. ?

?A group of Nas, the carabinieri unit that specializes in food control, collected samples of the food consumed by the young Americans for laboratory analysis.

Possible foodborne illness at ethics conference

One of the cornerstones of ethics and social responsibility, but one that is rarely discussed, is don’t make people barf.

With an Alanis Morissette level of ironical irony, a number of Indiana State University students and employees reported having flu-like symptoms after consuming food they ate at the April 4 Ethics and Social Responsibility Conference at ISU.

ISU food service providers are denying that contaminated food is to blame.

Conference attendees were served box lunches of cold cut sandwiches, a fruit cup, a pickle and a bag of potato chips.

The Indiana Statesman contacted one of the event’s Scott College of Business student organizers who was instructed not to speak on the record about reports of illness linked to the conference.

But College of Business Associate Dean Bruce McLaren said he received reports on April 5 of attendees having become ill following the conference. McLaren said he knew of multiple students and faculty who became ill. After receiving those reports, he notified Sodexo, he said.

According to a statement issued April 12 by Sodexo public relations director Monica Zimmer, "Sodexo was notified about alleged foodborne illness at Indiana State University. We have reviewed our procedures and are confident they are in line with our stringent food safety standards."

"The health department completed three inspections in the Hulman Memorial Student Union this week and found no violations. In addition, Sodexo received a food safety score of 99% during a recent inspection by a third-party auditor."

Don’t eat poop, and don’t drink poop in soda

A student at Haddon Township High School in South Jersey – always Jersey – discretely defecated into a classmate’s soda on March 29, 2010, and once the victim unwittingly took a drink, students in the classroom erupted in laughter.

Jason Laughlin, a spokesman for the Camden County Prosecutor’s Office told the Philadelphia Daily News that when a teacher found out the next day, the accused 17-year-old was charged with aggravated assault and tampering with a food product.

The accused, a standout wrestler (is this The Breakfast Club?), was not identified because of his age. His mother said the incident was being "blown out of proportion" and declined to comment further. His father is a physical-education teacher in the district.

The suspect has a scheduled hearing Thursday in Camden County Superior Court, Laughlin said.